Deadline: 01 November 2017
Award Amount: $40,000
Number of Awards: 20 or more depends on fund
Deadline: November 1st
Winner Announcement: Not Known
The Ron Brown Scholar Program seeking applications to identify students who will make significant contributions to society. The award program is open to Black/African American who has excelled academically. The mission of the Ron Brown Scholar Program is to advance higher education and improve the lives of service-minded and intellectually gifted African Americans, accelerating their progress into impactful leadership roles and opportunities.
The Ron Brown Scholar Fund is a 501(c) 3 public charity, managed by an independent Board of Trustees. The Program which was named for the late Secretary of Commerce and inspired by his dedication to public service focuses on encouraging civic engagement among Scholars while promoting academic excellence, community, and lifelong interactions.
In order to be eligible for the scholarship you meet the following requirements:
- Must be Black/African American.
- Must excel academically.
- Must exhibit exceptional leadership potential.
- Must participate in community service activities.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be a US citizen or hold a permanent resident visa card.
- Be a current high school senior at the time of your application
Instructions for Applying:
Application form of the scholarship can be downloaded from the given link: https://www.ronbrown.org/Media/Default/MediaGalleries/ApplicationPDFs/2018ScholarshipApplication.pdf
- List your extracurricular, community, employment or other activities in order of their importance to you. Indicate the dates you participated in the activity, positions held and the number of hours per week you spend on each activity.
- List any significant awards or honors you have received during high school for academic or extracurricular achievements.
- Essays: You must respond to both (A) and (B). Each essay should be no longer than 500 words.
(A) Choose the one activity you listed as most important in question #1 and tell why it is significant.
(B) Submit one essay that you plan to send or have sent as part of a college application. This may be on any topic. If your college application did not require an essay, please submit an essay on the topic of your choice.
- Ask two individuals who know you well to submit letters of recommendation. At least one letter should be from a teacher or
- Submit an official transcript with most current semester course load and school profile with application materials. A school profile is an information sheet about your high school. This profile would include information on the school location, student enrollment and/or types of courses offered.
All application materials must be submitted in one packet to the address given below:
Ron Brown Scholar Program
1160 Pepsi Place, Suite 206
Charlottesville, VA 22901
Phone: 434 964 1588
Fax: 434 964 1589
Twenty or more students are designated as Ron Brown Scholars and will receive $10,000 annually for four years, for a total of $40,000.
Detailed Information Link: