Deadline: 15 December 2017
PhD positions in Ultrafast Science: IMPRS-UFAST: International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) for Ultrafast Imaging and Structural Dynamics invites applications for a structured PhD programme in the Physics and Chemistry of ultrafast phenomena.
IMPRS-UFAST is a joint endeavor of the Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter, Deutsches Elektronen Synchrotron (DESY), the Universität Hamburg and the European XFEL GmbH.
- theoretical and experimental aspects of condensed matter and atomically resolved dynamics
- fundamental light-matter interaction, accelerator-based light sources, coherent imaging
- coherent controlled molecular and solid state dynamics
- molecule imaging
- extreme timescale spectroscopy
- ultrafast optics and x-ray science
- relevance and applications in chemistry, biology and medicine
Starting date: Summer/autumn 2018
- Applicant must be highly motivated with an excellent academic background.
- Applicants must hold or expected to complete Master’s degree or an equivalent degree in Physics, Chemistry or related areas.
How to apply:
- Applications must be submitted online.
PhD projects available in the IMPRS-UFAST
- 2018-UFAST-ACA1: Attosecond spectroscopy at X-ray free-electron lasers
- 2018-UFAST-ACA2: Few-femtosecond spectroscopy of phase transitions in complex materials
- 2018-UFAST-AR1: Dynamical properties of solids
- 2018-UFAST-AR2: Nonadiabatic theory for light-matter interaction
- 2018-UFAST-MS1: Unraveling astrochemical processes using a multi-spectroscopic approach
- 2018-UFAST-HS1: Ultrafast phase transitions in organic molecular solids
- 2018-UFAST-DM3: Liquid phase electron microscopy of viral macromolecular complexes in action
- 2018-UFAST-DM2: Instrumentation Development: Desorption by Impulsive Vibrational Excitation based Mass Spectrometry and Tissue Imaging
- 2018-UFAST-DM1: Towards Quantum Control in Chemistry – The IR Death Laser Project
- 2018-UFAST-DM5: To Unravel Molecular Details of Photoinduced Charge Generation in Metal-Organic Frameworks
- 2018-UFAST-AR4: Nonadiabatic dynamics in condensed phase systems
- 2018-UFAST-AR3: Dissipation and decoherence in strong light-matter coupling
- 2018-UFAST-FK2: Waveform Synthesizer and Electronics
- 2018-UFAST-FK4:THz Acceleration and X-ray Sources
- 2018-UFAST-FK1: Observing and controlling electronic and structural dynamics in matter on extreme time scales
- 2018-UFAST-FK3: Nonlinear effects in condensed matter induced by ultrastrong THz fields
- 2018-UFAST-PS1: Local Order Formation in Glassy Systems
- 2018-UFAST-AM1: Dynamics near structural and electronic phase transitions using ultrafast coherent X-ray scattering in pump-probe experiments
- 2018-UFAST-AR5: Plasmon-enhanced tunneling
- 2018-UFAST-AC1: Terahertz control of Josephson plasma waves in high temperature superconductors
- 2018-UFAST-DM4: Liquid phase electron microscopy of viral self-assembly mechanisms
|Organization||International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) for Ultrafast Imaging and Structural Dynamics|
|Subject areas||Physics, Chemistry|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||15th December 2017|