Deadline: 03 Dec 2017
PhD position in Ultra high capacity optical interconnects (V36.3079)
Department of Electrical Engineering
Eindhoven University of Technology has a vacancy for a
PhD position in Ultra high capacity optical interconnects
In the Electro-Optical Communication Systems (ECO) group, department of Electrical Engineering. The PhD position relates to the European H2020 project PASSION where Eindhoven University of Technology collaborates with leading industrial and academic partners as well as a number of small and medium enterprises on future solutions for Petabit/sec transmission systems. In order to support the future growth in demand for bandwidth cost effective and modular optical transmission modules have to be developed. The effort of Eindhoven University of Technology within the PASSION project relates to the hardware developments and in particular Transceiver design.
This position relates to the integration of vertical coupled surface emitting lasers (VCSELs) with other photonic integration platforms to achieve record bandwidth density solutions with substantial reduction in cost and power consumption. Based on novel TU/e approach for die integration we will collaborate with other academic and industrial partners to deliver novel solutions.
Within the COSIGN project the PhD student is required to further develop our assembly process. In particular we wish to address the following topics:
- Scaling the stacking technology to devices that operate at higher bit-rate and have larger size (e.g 16 Tbps)
- Supporting co integration of VCSELs with adjacent planar optical integration technologies.
- Introducing new schemes of integration for improved signal integrity
- Development of machine manufacturable packaging technologies for three and 2.5 dimensional devices.
The work will include both process-development in a cleanroom environment as well as practical development of packaging solutions in an industrial context. We wish to get in contact with candidates that have strong technical background. Since strong interaction with our industrial partners is required strong communication skills are also essential. Candidates for the PhD position should have a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, with excellent grades.
Conditions of employment
We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university through a fixed-term appointment for the period of 4 years. The research in this project must be concluded with the attainment of a Ph.D. degree. As an employee of the university you will receive a competitive salary as well as excellent employment conditions. Your gross monthly salary will be between EUR 2.222,- (first year) and EUR 2.840- (last year). Additionally, you willl receive 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year allowances.
Assistance for finding accommodation can be given. The university offers an attractive package of fringe benefits such as excellent technical infrastructure, child care, savings schemes, and excellent sports facilities. TU/e also offers you the opportunity for personal development by developing your social and communication skills. We do this by offering every PhD student a series of courses that are part of the Proof Program as an excellent addition to your scientific education.
More information on employment conditions can be found here: http://w3.tue.nl/en/services/dpo/ .
We offer a fixed-term, 4 year position in a research group with an excellent reputation. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, including:
- A gross monthly salary between EUR 2.222,- (first year) and EUR 2.840- (last year).
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- A minimum of 41 holidays per year (excluding bank holidays, for a full-time employment of 40 hrs/week)
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered.
- Personal development program aimed to develop your social and communication skills (see http://www.tue.nl/PROOF3TU).
Information and application
If you feel attracted to this research and you would like to have more information on the project please contact: Dr. Oded Raz (tel: +31 40 247 3521; O.Raz@tue.nl) or Dr. Patty Stabile (tel: +31 40 2475387, firstname.lastname@example.org).
For information concerning employment conditions you can contact Mrs. Tanja van Waterschoot: email@example.com .
If interested, please use the ‘apply now’ button at the top of this page. You should upload the following (all in English):
– Curriculum Vitae, including also the list of your publications, a list of courses taken and grades obtained, and details of at least two people who can provide references about you.
– Cover letter (1 page max), where you motivate your interest in this vacancy and briefly explain in which ways you represent a good match.
– A copy of your best paper (in PDF);
– Results of a recent English language test.
– Any other information that you think might be relevant.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.