Deadline: 15 January 2018
The aim of the scholarship is to support research candidates with cross-institutional mentoring, expert supervision including cross-institutional supervision where appropriate, subject-specific and generic training, and professional support in preparing for a career.
Midlands3Cities is an AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) between the universities of the three cities of Birmingham, Leicester and Nottingham in the Midlands.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Arts and Design, Media and Cultural Studies, English, Music or Law.
Scholarship Award: Scholarships will cover the following:
The Doctoral Training Partnership can provide stipend funding of up to £14,296 plus your course fees covered if you take one of our PhDs in Arts and Design, Media and Cultural Studies, English, Music or Law.
Number of Scholarships: Two scholarships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- AHRC funding is open to all UK and EU students.
- Every student, their subject, the course of study, and the RO at which they are studying must meet the eligibility criteria set out in the Conditions of Research Council Training Grants (opens in new window) and RCUK Training Grant Guide (opens in new window), along with any scheme-specific guidance. Information on the AHRC’s subject domain can be found in Section 7 of the AHRC’s Research Funding Guide (opens in new window).
- The decision on eligibility for a full award or fees-only award based on residency must be taken by the award holder in discussion with the RO(s) in the consortium and in accordance with the Research Councils’ Terms and Conditions (TGC 6). Please do not contact the AHRC for advice or a decision on particular cases as our staff are unable to provide advice on this issue.
- In terms of academic eligibility, a student should have gained an undergraduate degree (usually a Honours degree, such as a BA, BMus, BSc, LLB or equivalent) from a recognised RO, or be an undergraduate expecting to graduate prior to the studentship being taken up. Other qualifications should be considered only exceptionally.
If the student subsequently fails to gain an undergraduate degree, they are not entitled to receive AHRC studentship funding.
- Students without an undergraduate degree may be considered for an AHRC studentship only if they are able to demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study. In addition, those applying for a doctoral studentship should normally have or be studying for, a Master’s degree or similar postgraduate qualification. Where a student is studying for a Master’s degree or similar postgraduate qualification, they should have met all the course requirements prior to the start date of their AHRC doctoral studentship.
- If a student does not have experience of formal postgraduate study, they may be eligible for a studentship only if they can demonstrate evidence of sustained experience beyond undergraduate degree level that is specifically relevant to their proposed research topic, and could be considered equivalent to Master’s study. The RO must have evidence as to how the training and development the student has received is equivalent to that obtained through a Master’s course and, therefore, prepares them to continue to doctoral study.
Nationality: UK and EU applicants can apply for the scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have previous year degree.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent written and verbal English skills.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online:
- You must submit two academic references and apply for Midlands 3 Cities funding on the Midlands3Cities website.
- We advise starting your funding application at the same time as your PhD application. However, you will not be able to submit your funding application until you have received your applicant ID.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is January 15, 2018.