Deadline: 8 November 2017
UIO PhD Research Fellowship in Software Engineering in Norway, 2018: The University of Oslo is delighted to offer its PhD Research Fellowship in Software Engineering at the Department of Informatics. The fellowship is available to international students for a period of 3 years.
The purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree and the candidate will also benefit from an extensive industrial network from which she/he will gain a considerable experience with applied knowledge in the field.
The University of Oslo until 1939 named the Royal Frederick University is the oldest university in Norway, located in the Norwegian capital of Oslo.
Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue PhD Research programme
Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in the field of Software Engineering
Scholarship Award: Fellowship will cover the following:
- Salary NOK 436 900 – 490 900 per year depending on qualifications and seniority.
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
Scholarship can be taken in Norway
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition of being a leading research faculty. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- The candidate must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in computer science or software engineering, with excellent results and grades. Applicants must have solid knowledge of software development and software architecture. Industry experience within software development is required. Additional experience or education in economics is considered a plus.
- The purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree. The candidate will also benefit from an extensive industrial network from which she/he will gain a considerable experience with applied knowledge in the field.
- The PhD fellowship requires admission to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The application to the PhD programme must be submitted to the department no later than two months after taking up the position.
Nationality: International applicants are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must hold a Master’s degree in computer science or software engineering.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A good command of English is required of all students attending the University of Oslo. International students; PhD research fellows and postdoctoral research fellows who are not native speakers of English, must document their proficiency in English by taking one of the following internationally recognised tests:
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language.
- IELTS – International English Language Testing Service.
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) from the University of Cambridge.
- Applicants to the programme for the PhD degree in Science must obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based) on the TOEFL test or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS (academic) test. The same applies to applicants for postdoctoral research fellow positions.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online:
- The application must include:
- Application letter
CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
- Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
- In accordance with the University of Oslo’s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
UiO has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is November 6, 2017.