Deadline: 29 November 2017
Assistant / Associate Professor of Molecular Neurophysiology (0.8 – 1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Science
Vacancy number: 62.74.17
Application deadline: 29 November 2017
Radboud University (Nijmegen, Netherlands) is looking for candidates with research expertise at the interface of molecular neurophysiology and molecular neurobiology. Candidates from other backgrounds, including membrane biology, biophysics, molecular sensors and chemical biology focusing on emerging topics in neuroscience, are also encouraged to apply. Experience with novel method development/application to observe and control neuronal activity and research with a link to neurological diseases would be an advantage.
You are a well-trained academic researcher with a strong international profile as evidenced by publications in top-ranked scientific journals. Furthermore, you have proven teaching skills in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes, in particular regarding biological sciences and, more specifically, animal and human physiology. You have demonstrated experience in the supervision of PhD candidates, postdoctoral researchers and non-academic technical staff.
The position is ideally suited for candidates with established research programmes, external funding and significant teaching experience to be appointed at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. The duties of an Assistant or Associate Professor at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour and the Faculty of Science include research, education, and management/organisation. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, home to more than 600 researchers from 35 countries, is a world-class research centre devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of human cognition and behaviour in health and disease. The institute’s mission includes conducting excellent interdisciplinary research at the unique interface between genetic, molecular and cellular processes at one end and computational, system-level neuroscience with cognitive and behavioral analysis at the other. Research in the Donders Institute is focused around four themes: 1. Language and communication, 2. Perception, action and control, 3. Plasticity and memory, and 4. Brain networks and neuronal communication. In 2013, the Donders Institute was assessed by an international evaluation committee as excellent and recognised as a ‘very stimulating environment for top researchers and young talents’.
The position will be embedded in the Donders Centre for Neuroscience (FNWI), more particularly in the Department of Neurophysiology, chaired by Prof. Tansu Celikel, and the recently formed Department of Molecular Neurobiology, chaired by Prof. Erik Storkebaum. The new research group will be expected to create synergy and collaborate with the research groups at the Donders Institute, Radboud University, and the Radboud university medical center.
What we expect from you
You preferably hold a position in neurophysiology, neurobiology, or a related discipline, and are an experienced, inspirational, leading figure. Other requirements include:
- an established research line at the interface of molecular neurophysiology and molecular neurobiology;
- a line of research that fits within one of the four themes of the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour;
- a collaborative, open attitude with excellent communication skills;
- experience in acquiring external funding;
- established track and publication record in top-ranked scientific journals;
- experience in the supervision of doctoral students and/or postdoctoral researchers;
- teaching skills evidenced by a basic teaching qualification (BKO) or equivalent;
- proven administrative, organisational and management qualities.
What we have to offer
- employment: 0.8 – 1.0 FTE;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- depending on your profile, you will be appointed as an Assistant Professor (maximum gross monthly salary of €5,405, based on a 38-hour working week, scale 12) or Associate Professor (maximum gross monthly salary of €6,438 based on a 38-hour working week, scale 14);
- if you meet the criteria, your contract will be converted to a permanent contract;
- you will be classified as an Assistant Professor (Universitair docent) or as an Associate Professor (Universitair hoofddocent), Level 1 in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO);
- you will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as child care, and help the partner of the candidate prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Radboud University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities.
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: Donders Institute
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. Gerard Martens
Telephone: +31 24 361 05 64
Prof. Tansu Celikel
Telephone: +31 24 365 23 60
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of ms W. van der Pluijm) exclusively using the button ‘Apply’ below. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):
- Cover letter
- CV, including contact details of three references
- Research statement
Interviews will take place in January and February 2018.
For more information on your application: +31 24 365 21 31.