Deadline: 14 November 2017
Instructor Public Health in the Netherlands
Council on International Educational Exchange
- Publication date
- 30 October 2017
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €2,925 to €3,375 gross for 45 contact hours plus preparation
- Closing date
- 14 November 2017
- 45 contact hours plus preparation
- Vacancy number
The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. Our mission is one shared by many in international education: ‘to help people gain understanding, acquire knowledge, and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.’ To fulfill that mission, CIEE provides both outbound international education experiences for university students, faculty, and administrators, and study, work, and internship opportunities for people coming into the U.S.
CIEE has had a presence in The Netherlands since 1993 with a Social Sciences program in cooperation with the College of Social Sciences at the University of Amsterdam and since 2012 in Business and Culture with the Faculty Economics and Business at the University of Amsterdam. Apart from these semester programs CIEE offers J-term, summer and customized programs.
The Netherlands is facing today’s challenges of rising health care costs, an aging population and growing staffing shortages. In this course students will develop a better understanding of the Dutch approach to norms and standards in today’s public health care system. The course will touch upon culturally sensitive issues such as euthanasia, public insurance, and home birth, as well as global issues such as elderly care and children’s health.
Through a series of thematic lectures, including guest lectures from professionals in the field, and guided site visits, students are able to place these challenges in a specific context, critically analyzing and comparing them to other countries.
For J-term 2018 we expect between 6 to 12 students from different American universities that will participate in this course. Students are in their 2nd or 3rd year, and will most like major in public health or something related. Classes take place every weekday from 9.30 to 13.00 between 4 and 19 January 2018.
- Further develop the Public Health in the Netherlands course (structure, detailed syllabus and content of classes);
- teach the Public Health in the Netherlands course (45 contact hours);
- arrange for guest lecturers and site visits;
- attend and lead guided site visits that are part of the course and provide students with appropriate background information on sites visited;
- conduct student meetings and hold office hours when necessary;
- grade student papers and assignments;
- keep student records and report problematic student cases to the CIEE Academic Manager;
- use Canvas (Learning Management System) for student administration.
- Master’s degree (preferably in Public Health or related);
- fluency in English;
- experience in teaching students;
- excellent interpersonal skills and ability to speak in front of groups;
- medical and cultural interest in the Netherlands and the U.S.;
- must be available for class excursions;
- enthusiastic, shows a lot of initiative, is not afraid to challenge students and create an open classroom environment.
For questions, please contact:
- Jonathan Key
T: +31 (0)20 620 2269
This is not an UvA vacancy. The instructor is appointed by the onsite CIEE Resident Director & Academic Manager in collaboration with the CIEE office in Portland, Maine, USA.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter and resume to our Academic Manager Jonathan Key by the application deadline of 14 November 2017. Please put ‘Instructor Public Health in the Netherlands’ in the subject line.
No agencies please