Assistant or Associate Professors
Deadline: 15 December 2017
Two Assistant or Associate professors in Information Systems for Business
Faculty of Economics and Business – Amsterdam Business School
- Publication date
- 7 November 2017
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €3,475 to €6,438 gross per month
- Closing date
- 15 December 2017
- 38 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Amsterdam Business School (ABS) is part of the University of Amsterdam’s Faculty of Economics and Business. ABS Master in Business Administration was 1 ranked in 2016 and the school is internationally recognized triple-crown accredited. It has around 3,000 full-time students and 120 FTE academic staff. One of the school’s core focus areas is the application of Data Science in all areas of business studies: Marketing, Finance, Operations Management, HR, Accounting and Strategy.
To stimulate Big Data & Business Analytics, the school actively participates in Amsterdam Data Science, an all department initiative of the University of Amsterdam (UvA), the VU University Amsterdam, the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HvA) and the Center for Mathematics & Computer Science (CWI). Within Amsterdam Data Science, a large number of research projects on Data Science take place, both with a theoretical focus and with an applied / industrial focus.
The school further participates in an university-wide Minor in Data Science at Bachelor level, a Master track in Digital Business, a Big Data track within the Master Econometrics, a MBA in Big Data & Business Analytics and several post-graduate programmes on Big Data & Business Analytics, including programmes on industrial statistics and Lean Six Sigma.
Finally, the school participates in the Tinbergen Institute, a globally top 5% ranked institute for (Business) Economic and Econometric research of the University of Amsterdam, VU University Amsterdam and Erasmus University of Rotterdam.
The new tenure-track Assistant or Associate professor is a specialist in Business Information systems.
The job consists of:
- teaching courses on Information Systems, including process and data modelling as well as data analytics, and thesis supervision at Bachelor, Master and PhD level. Time dedicated to teaching activities will be around 50% of total working time;
- conducting Research Projects related to Business Information Systems and the school’s focus areas. Application may be in any relevant domain of business, including Marketing, Finance, Operations Management, HR or Strategy. Time dedicated to research activities will be around 50% of total working time;
- attracting governmental and industry funding for these research projects;
- some managerial task.
The Assistant or Associate professor:
- has a PhD in (Business) Information Systems from a department in Computer Science, Engineering, or (Technical) Business Studies;
- has published and/or submitted articles to international top-tier journals;
- has demonstrated excellent teaching skills;
- has shown success in attracting research grants and/or industry sponsored projects;
- possesses a relevant international academic and/or industry network.
Applicants for the associate professor position should have:
- at least 4 to 6 years experience at assistant professor level;
- some managerial experience in teaching and research.
Applicants who require further information about these positions may contact:
- professor Hans Borgman, chair of the search committee
We offer a challenging job with ample opportunity for personal development in an attractive international work environment. ABS is a growing, research driven business school at an internationally recognized university that has the ambition to become a leading international player in the field of management research and education. ABS is located in the heart of Amsterdam, the cultural and financial capital of the Netherlands. Amsterdam offers a cosmopolitan living environment with excellent connections to the rest of the world.
The appointee at the assistant professor level will be offered a tenure track position for six years. Upon meeting the tenure track criteria, a permanent contract as Associate professor will be offered.
Salary will be in accordance with Dutch academic salary scales and include a pension scheme. A substantial reduction in income tax (equal to 30% of taxable salary) may apply to non-Dutch candidates. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Some of the things we have to offer:
- a friendly and informal working environment;
- a high-level of interaction;
- a location in the city centre;
- an international environment (different nationalities in the group);
- access to high-end computing facilities (cluster with CPU 4,000+ cores and 50+ GPUs).
Since Amsterdam is a very international city where almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates do not need to be concerned about a language barrier.
Applicants should submit a complete curriculum vitae, cover letter, two research papers (published or unpublished), teaching evaluations (if available) and three reference letters to Universiteit van Amsterdam, Personnel Department via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job reference number 17-561. The closing date is 15 December 2017. #LI-DNP
No agencies please