Native English-Speaking Writer – Chalmers University of Technology – Sweden

Chalmers University of Technology
Native English-Speaking Writer
Study in:Sweden
5 days
Remaining
Deadline: 17 December 2017

Native English-Speaking Writer: Chalmers University of Technology is Sweden’s most widely recognised brand within the university sector. We conduct research and offer education in technology, science, shipping and architecture with a sustainable future as our global vision. Chalmers is well-known for providing a favourable environment for innovation. We cooperate with industry and society to develop technical solutions to societal challenges.

Situated in Gothenburg, Sweden, Chalmers has 10,000 full-time students and 3,100 employees.

Chalmers Operations Support is Chalmers’ organisation for staff and support for the management, joint administration and service to departments and other units. Operations are process oriented towards attaining Chalmers’ four targets: world-class education, outstanding research, effective utilisation, and an excellent internal environment.

Information about the Communication and Marketing Department
Communication and Marketing is responsible for Chalmers’ central communication and market relations as well as for maintaining and strengthening the Chalmers’ brand. Tasks include planning and running Chalmers’ external communications, developing communications concepts and campaigns, reporting research and educational news, coordinating internal communication, managing student recruitment, organising academic ceremonies, fundraising, managing alumni relations, and providing tools and consultative support for the rest of the organisation. Work is organised into the Communication Unit and the Marketing Unit.

Increased internationalisation and digitalisation entail new exciting communication challenges. The Communication Unit therefore needs to be reinforced with an Native English-speaking writer, with specific focus on international target groups and the international press and media.

Job description
The focus of the job as an English writer is on producing and publishing international press releases, as well as creating content in English for the external website and social media on research, innovation and education. Tasks include conducting interviews and doing background research, explaining and packaging complex information and content of interest to the target audience. The ability to find the interesting or unique angle of the story that will appeal to an international audience is a key component of the job.

Part of the English writer’s responsibility is to act as an international press information officer (PIO), as a point of contact for international journalists, and following up on the university’s impact in international media. You will also support colleagues with translations from Swedish into English.

You should have an excellent ability to write in English, with a clear voice and solid grasp of grammar. Your skills include creating catchy headlines and texts that are to-the-point, within formats ranging from descriptive popular-science features to short texts that capture the interest of and intrigue the target group.

You will be part of a core team, which includes the press and crisis communication manager, who is responsible for priorities and quality in press issues, as well as another press officer. The work involves extensive interaction with academic staff and colleagues with other communications expertise and responsibilities. You report to the head of the Communication Unit /communication manager.

Position summary
The position is a full-time permanent employment.

Qualifications
– University education in journalism, media and communication science, or other educational courses in copywriting or equivalent.
– Excellent communication skills and several years of experience in journalism or copywriting.
– Native and excellent English writer.
– Good command of written and spoken Swedish.

Advantageous
– Experience of international media and contacts in international media corporations.
– Experience of and training in crisis communication.
– Experience of or education in research, engineering, medicine or other sciences.
– High level of digital competence and accustomed to working with social media.

Personal qualities
You should be responsible and a team player, enjoy a fast pace of work, be highly results-oriented and be able to work independently.

Chalmers continuously strives to be an attractive employer. Equality and diversity are substantial foundations in all activities at Chalmers.

Application procedure
The application should be marked with Name, Ref 20170507 and be attached as PDF files, as below:

1. Application: (name it as: Application, Surname, Reference number)
− CV
2. Personal Letter/Qualifications: (name it as: PL, Surname, Reference number). 1-2 pages that describe your qualifications for the job.
3. Work sample or style sample: (name it as: Sample, Surname, Reference number). For example, include links to published documents or attach a maximum of three PDF documents.

Please use the button at the bottom of the page to reach the application form.

Application deadline: 17 December 2017

For questions, please contact:
Christian Borg, Press Communication Manager
E-mail: christian.borg@chalmers.se
Phone: +46 31 7723395

Gunilla Brocker, Head of Communication Unit
E-mail: gunilla.brocker@chalmers.se
Phone: +46 31 7721759

*** Chalmers declines to consider all offers of further announcement publishing or other types of support for the recruiting process in connection with this position. ***

Chalmers University of Technology conducts research and education in engineering sciences, architecture, technology-related mathematical sciences, natural and nautical sciences, working in close collaboration with industry and society. The strategy for scientific excellence focuses on our eight Areas of Advance; Building Futures, Energy, Information & Communication Technology, Life Science, Materials Science, Nanoscience & Nanotechnology, Production and Transport. The aim is to make an active contribution to a sustainable future using the basic sciences as a foundation and innovation and entrepreneurship as the central driving forces. Chalmers has around 11,000 students and 3,000 employees. New knowledge and improved technology have characterised Chalmers since its foundation in 1829, completely in accordance with the will of William Chalmers and his motto: Avancez!
Apply Now