Deadline: 01 Feb 2018
Postdoc Position in Multi-Domain Orchestration in 5G Networks
KTH Royal Institute of Technology,
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The goal of this project is to the enable cross-domain orchestration of services over multiple administrations or over multi-domain single administrations. Market fragmentation has resulted in a multitude of network operators, each focused on different countries and regions. This makes it difficult to create infrastructure services spanning multiple countries, such as virtual connectivity or compute resources, as no single operator has a footprint everywhere. This project aims at enabling collaboration between operators, regarding 5G infrastructure services, with the view of introducing unification via NFV/SDN compatible multi-domain orchestration. This will allow end-to-end network and service elements to mix in multi-vendor, heterogeneous technology/resource environments. Such 5G infrastructure services will provide a crucial role in making 5G happen, as they provide the foundation of all cloud and networking services. This project aims at enabling, through operator collaboration, a unified European infrastructure service market integrating multiple operators and technologies, where service provisioning is fast and automated and results in a stronger economy, via economies of scale.
The work of the Postdoctoral fellow will include software implementation, control plane design, and experiment on the testbed. The project involves close collaboration with PhD students and seniors in the group.
The candidate is expected to hold a Ph.D. degree and should have excellent software programming skills, deep understanding of network control based on SDN, experience in developing solutions for E2E SDN orchestration for multi-domain scenarios, experience in Software Development, Network Protocols, Virtual/Cloud Network Architectures, and virtualization technology. More specifically the following technical skills are required:
- Good knowledge of Linux-based environments
- Tools: git, svn, Jenkins
- Good knowledge of SDN and NFV concepts and architectures, with experimental experience on that (ONOS, ODL, Ryu, Mininet, OpenFlow knowledge is preferred)
- Experience on VirtualBox and knowledge of OpenStack
- Knowledge of ETSI/NFV paradigm
- Technical details and some implementation experience of network protocols, in particular OSPF, BGP, BGP-LS, PCEP, DHCP, REST, HTTP
- Knowledge of networking: IP addressing, network infrastructure design and basic knowledge on switching and routing configuration
- Experience on the realization of web pages
- Experience on testbed preparation
- Experience on running tests for software, with good predisposition to problem solving and bug fixing
Furthermore, a strong publication record in international journals and conferences is required. The candidates should have excellent skills in spoken and written English.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
The application must include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (detailing both your previous scientific work experience and your interest in this position)
- Research statement (max 2 pages)
- Publication record (pinpoint the most important papers and describe your contributions)
- Three references with their contact information
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to the agreement, preferably soonest possible|
|Salary||According to the agreement and to the general level for postdoc salary|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||01.Feb.2018 11:59 PM CET|