Deadline: 15 January 2018
The aim of the PTNMR doctoral training program is to foster the development of NMR spectroscopy in Portugal by training students within a specific research plan, to take the maximum advantage of this powerful technique in a variety of key research areas: Structural Biology, Material Sciences, Small Molecules, Metabolomics, and Metabonomics.
ITQB NOVA – Instituto de Tecnología Química y Biológica António Xavier is a scientific research and advanced training institute of the NOVA University of Lisbon. The ITQB NOVA is located in the Town of Oeiras, at the Tagus river mouth, just outside Lisbon.
- Application Deadline: January 15, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Doctoral degree programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded to pursue Doctoral Programme in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Applied to Chemistry, Materials, and Biosciences.
- Scholarship Award: The PTNMR PhD program is funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia with a total of 20 studentships for a period of 3 years.
- Nationality: International students
- Number of Scholarships: Ten FCT-funded fellowships are available to highly motivated candidates interested in the molecular perspective of life sciences.
- Scholarship can be taken in Portugal
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
The PTNMR PhD program is funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia with a total of 20 studentships for a period of 3 years.
Admission of candidates is competitive and based on the educational background, academic qualification, research experience; motivation and scientific ability (see admission criteria). Candidates should be fluent in English as this is the Program official language.
Criteria for Admission
- Educational background: Candidates that have a strong background in chemistry, biological sciences, life sciences, material sciences, physics or areas of the interface are encouraged to apply to this PhD Program.
- Academic qualification: The candidates must have a strong academic record and meet the minimum following requirements:
- Holding a Masters degree or legal equivalent, or a Bachelor’s degree with a total number of academic credits equal or above 240 (pre-Bologna degrees);
- Exceptionally, students with a Bachelor’s degree but an outstanding academic or scientific curriculum may be accepted. This is evaluated by the Directive Board of the Ph.D. Program.
- A minimum grade-point average of 14/20 (Portuguese Scale or equivalent by conversion in case of foreign candidates) is legally mandatory for admission in a PhD course in Portuguese Universities
Admission criteria will be verified by means of a written application that should include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae including degrees, grades obtained, and courses attended, research experience, publications, and a personal statement. The personal statement (maximum 2 pages) should include a description of academic interests and career goals, a description of scientific interests and a summary of previous research experience including laboratory work. A final full paragraph should present the reasons for applying to the Program.
- Detailed academic record
- Diplomas/Certificates of relevant examinations (e.g. BSc or MSc degree)
- Two contacts for references
English Language Requirements: Good knowledge of English, as well as oral and written, is required.
How to Apply: Please read the announcement and prepare the application before starting filling the form. In short, the candidate will fill the form with the personal data, attaching certificates and complete CV. The Letter of Intent (with a maximum of 4000 characters including spaces) should be prepared separately in a word processor and Copy & Paste to the form. In this Letter of Intent, the candidate should indicate again the order of the two chosen projects, and justify his/her choice. The name, email, and institution of at least two referees should be added at the end of the questionnaire.