A two-year postdoctoral position is available at DTU Chemistry starting from April 1, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter in the group of Professor Kasper P. Kepp. Approximately 8-9 months of the project will take place at Cambridge University within the group of Professor T. L. Blundell. The project is financed by the Novo Nordisk Foundation in Denmark.
The project involves the computational study of mutations causing early-onset severe forms of Alzheimer’s disease in the proteins presenilin 1 and 2 and amyloid precursor protein (APP). The ultimate goals are to understand the mechanism behind these mutations, i.e. how does a single mutation change the protein to cause disease, and to ultimately develop a model that can predict disease severity based on the input of a mutation, using structural and chemical information available.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Build homology models and perform molecular dynamics studies of the mutant proteins.
- Collect relevant experimental and clinical data and perform chemoinformatic analysis of structure –function relations of the mutations.
- Develop the computational disease predictor.
- Drafting manuscripts describing project results.
- Candidates should have a PhD degree in computational chemistry or related fields.
- Strong experience with protein modelling, including molecular dynamics.
- Excellent programming and scripting skills required for the disease prediction model.
- Several first-author papers in good international journals.
- Independence and good communication skills in English.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The period of employment is for two years.
The position includes an internationally competitive salary and pension package, vacation allowance, and Danish state-paid health care.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Please submit your online application no later than 15 February 2018.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (an official translation into English)
- List of publications with applicant’s name highlighted.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Apply for this job
Apply no later than 15 February 2018
Apply for the job at DTU Chemistry by completing the following form.