Postdoc Position: Optimising DNA-Isolation and Sequencing, DTU, Denmark: The Research Group for Genomic Epidemiology at the National Food Institute (DTU Food) seeks a qualified candidate for a vacant postdoc position to work with organising, improving and executing DNA-purification and sequencing from metagenomics samples, as part of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Global Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance.
The GenEpi group studies medically relevant microorganisms using whole genome sequencing and metagenomics for surveillance and outbreak detection. The research group is EU and WHO reference laboratory for antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and genomics, and combines expertise in conventional and molecular microbiology with bioinformatics and epidemiology. The GenEpi group is, together with several partners worldwide, working on surveillance and diagnostics of infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance (http://www.compare-europe.eu, www.genomicepidemiology.org, www.globalmicrobialidentifier.org).
The GenEpi group is currently aiming at establishing global surveillance using a combination of metagenomics sequencing of human sewage samples from global sources, with bioinformatics, statistical modelling and epidemiology. As part of this effort we wish to employ different methods and technologies for DNA purification and sequencing to improve the catchment of AMR genes and infectious agents.
Responsibilities and tasks
The postdoc will be expected to take the responsibility for improving the currently established workflow for DNA-purification and sequencing, as well as study the impact and importance of a targeted isolation of specific parts of the DNA (e.g. plasmids), and use different sequencing technologies (e.g. Illumina, Nanopore).
- Your responsibility will be to optimise DNA-purification and sequencing protocols and introduce and evaluate novel methods and technologies.
- You will contribute to the quantification of antimicrobial resistance genes in sewage from global sources and help in determining the genetic location of horizontally transferable genes.
- Your research could include developing novel protocols, and identifying / verifying important genetic locations of AMR genes.
- You will engage with a larger group of scientists and technicians with a diverse scientific background.
- You have the ability to lead and direct technical staff and collaborators, as well as to motivate colleagues to be at their best and achieve ambitious goals.
The tasks of the position will be performed in close collaboration with microbiologists, bioinformaticians, statisticians and epidemiologists, which will assist in analysing the data and be very eager to receive novel input.
Candidates should have a PhD degree or equivalent.
The successful candidate should have hands-on experience with DNA-purification, preferably from complex samples, and DNA-sequencing. Experience with the analysis of sequencing data would also be of advantage. Flexibility and self-motivation are desired skills at DTU, as well as a natural interest in collaboration and personal responsibility. For the specific position it is essential to have excellent and proven skills in collaboration and communication with both the technical staff and other scientists.
- Experience with DNA-purification.
- Experience with DNA-sequencing.
- Experience with comparing different methods and protocols for DNA-purification and sequencing.
- Excellent skills in collaboration and communication.
- Experience with plasmid DNA isolation.
- Experience with data management and analysis.
- Experience with the analysis of DNA sequences.
- Experience with microbiology.
- Experience with antimicrobial resistance.
In addition to the above, the following will also be considered in the evaluation of the candidates:
- You enjoy working with complex topics.
- You are motivated by both personal and team accomplishments.
- You have a focus on processes and development as much as on results.
- You believe in dialogue and feedback as the best foundation for sound decision making.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The period of employment is 3 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Frank M. Aarestrup, tel.: +45 3588 6281 or e-mail: email@example.com.
You can read more about the GenEpi research group on www.food.dtu.dk/forskning/genetisk-epidemiologi.
Please submit your online application no later than 30 January 2018 (Local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The primary task of the GenEpi group is to conduct targeted research with the aim of predicting and preventing infectious diseases in humans and supporting global detection and control – with a special emphasis on antimicrobial resistance and food borne infections.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Apply for this job
Apply no later than 30 January 2018
Apply for the job at DTU Food by completing the following form.