A postdoc position is available in the Nanomedicine Group headed by Thomas L. Andresen. In this position your main task will be to assist in the development of organs-on-chips for drug modelling purposes. The prime focus here will be on the design and development of a human gut-on-a-chip and you will be working close with chemists, biologist and clinicians to address this grand challenge.
The efficacy of orally ingested drugs all comes down to whether the drug in question can seamlessly enter the bloodstream and reach its target destination, intact and fully functional. Among the first obstacles a drug need to overcome is the harsh environment of the stomach and the highly restrictive gut-barrier. The gut-barrier is vital for the human health because it prevents potentially life-threating toxins, pathogens and unknown compounds from entering the human circulatory system.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Development of tissue engineering hydrogels for growing gut-related cells in a native-like manner
- Optimization of 3D culturing condition to generate a native-like gut-barrier with tight-junctions.
- 3D printing of microchips, which recapitulate the intrinsic topology of the gut barrier in terms of vili and microvilli.
- Mentoring and being an inspiration to junior team members such as bachelor, master and PhD students.
- You should have a PhD degree or equivalent.
- You are an expert in the development of biomaterials such as hydrogels and scaffolds.
- You have experience with culturing a broad range of cell types and know your way around in a cell culture laboratory.
- You are experienced with immunostaining of cells and other relevant cellular characterizations methods.
- You have over 3 years of experience in micro and nanofabrication of miniaturized systems for further down-stream applications.
- You are a team-player, highly organized and timely in the workplace.
- You are highly passionate about science and want to make a significant contribution to the field of medical sciences for the sake of society.
- You are open minded, a communicator and strive to excel in whatever you do.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. The employment is at DTU Nanotech and the period of employment is 2-years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Thomas L. Andresen, tel.: +45 2537 4486 and Alireza Dolatshahi-Pirouz, tel.: +45 2537 4486.
You can read more about DTU Nanotech on www.nanotech.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 22 January 2018 (Local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Nanotech – the Department of Micro- and Nanotechnology – is situated in the northern part of Copenhagen. DTU Nanotech is a centre of excellence in micro- and nanotechnology utilising sciences across the traditional boundaries of technology, thereby enabling innovative solutions for the benefit of society. DTU Nanotech has approx. 220 staff members. With 40 % international employees, the department constitutes an international environment.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Apply for this job
Apply no later than 22 January 2018
Apply for the job at DTU Nanotech by completing the following form.