DTU Management Engineering at Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Professor (with special responsibilities) in Corporate Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
The professor will be attached to the Technology and Innovation Management division, one of the six divisions comprising the Department. The division employs approximately 55 persons including presently a permanent faculty of 25.
With this position, DTU aims to foster research and teaching in corporate entrepreneurship and innovation management within established firms. Specifically, the aim is to advance corporate entrepreneurship and innovation management in the context of scientific and technological advances from Danish and European ‘big science’ initiatives and facilities.
For this particular position, DTU Management Engineering aims for a close cooperation with DTU’s Physics department to jointly seize industrial opportunities created by the large public investment in large research infrastructure such as The European Spallation Source (ESS). As a leading technical university, DTU has a well-developed eco-system related to innovation, entrepreneurship, and business development. For the right candidate, this constitutes a unique opportunity for developing research, industrial networks, and teaching.
Responsibilities and tasks
The new professor is expected to take leadership in developing the research and teaching activities within the area of corporate entrepreneurship and innovation management, including technology management. In particular, this position includes developing and leading new research and alliances, further building up of a research team, developing research applications, and accelerating the academic output in general. Supervising and supporting doctoral students and early career team members will be a central task as well.
The new professor is expected to develop and strengthen the links to researchers at DTU Physics, with a special emphasis on developing the innovation outcomes of physics research connected to large research infrastructures like ESS.
The new professor is expected to take a leading role in collaboration with external stakeholders and contribute to the wider knowledge-exchange with society at large. This also includes internal collaboration with stakeholders in DTU’s corporate entrepreneurship and business development eco-system.
The new professor is also expected to take the lead in research-based teaching at the BSc, MSc, and PhD levels. This includes teaching and master thesis supervision in the area of corporate entrepreneurship and innovation management. Contributions to the University’s executive programmes are welcomed and supported. A general task is to increase entrepreneurship awareness and spread the approach of entrepreneurship as a mindset among students and colleagues.
The professor is expected to make a special effort in the fields of research/innovation and research-related management. Thus, the applicant is generally required to have input over and above the qualification requirements for the position, including:
- A high level of original scientific production at international level, with the potential to contribute to the further development of the field corporate entrepreneurship and innovation management.
- Documented experience in research management, including handling management tasks in national or international projects, research programmes, congresses, etc.
- Documented teaching experience at various levels on the University’s study programmes—including and in particular at PhD level.
- Documented experience as scientific and/or strategic advisor to various private or public organizations, making an impact on their commercialization of technology and innovation.
- Documented experience in and knowledge on university-industry collaboration in general, including such issues as IP, licensing, spin-off, technology transfer, knowledge management, etc.
In the assessment of the candidate consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching and curriculum development
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Research profile in corporate entrepreneurship and innovation management, including technology management
- Track record of leadership in managing research groups, including professional, personal, resource, and strategic management
- National and International network, both to relevant research communities and to industry
- Proven record of interacting with industry related to innovation and technology management, business development.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position is available for a 5-year period and may be extended for up to 3 years more. At the end of the period, the employee in question transfers to a position as associate professor at the University.
More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
For further information please contact Professor Søren Salomo, director of DTU Management Engineering, +45 4525 4409, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about DTU Management Engineering on www.dtu.man.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 28 January 2018. Applications must be submitted as one PDF filecontaining all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link ‘Apply online’, fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- A vision for future research
- Views regarding teaching and research based on the ‘Assessment’ bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Management Engineering contributes actively to the development of management tools and optimization of processes by using and re-thinking theoretical engineering perspectives, models, and methods. Through our research and teaching, we ensure an innovative, competitive, and sustainable organization and use of technologies within areas such as energy and climate, transportation, production and health, both domestic and abroad. DTU Management Engineering has 350 employees, including around 70 PhD students. More than 20% of our employees are from abroad and a total of 38 different nationalities are represented at the Department.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.