Deadline: 10 February 2018
RUFORUM is calling applications for Postdoctoral Fellowships for African students. The Award for this call is a maximum of US$60, 000 per fellowship.
The goal of this call is to increase and ensure high retention rate of these graduates in Africa to help strengthen African universities and research institutions to meet the growing demand for higher education and research for creating knowledge and prosperity in the continent.
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), established in 2004, is a consortium of 46 universities in Eastern, Central, and Western & Southern Africa (ECWSA). The organization evolved from the Forum on Agricultural Resource Husbandry (FORUM) program of the Rockefeller Foundation. RUFORUM is registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) and has the mandate to oversee graduate training and networks of specialization in the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA).
- Application Deadline: February 10, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded to learn any of the courses offered by the university.
- Scholarship Award: The Award for this call is a maximum of US$60, 000 per fellowship and is expected to cover:
- Stipend: $26,400 – equating to $1,200 for 10 months in Year 1 and 12 Months in Year 2. This stipend is paid in order to allow the Fellow to focus on the research, publications, and supervision of their research team by releasing some of their teaching and other duties and to reduce the need for engagement in consultancies.
- Research funds: $26,700 to support the research activities of the Post-Doctoral Team that will include Ph.D. and Masters Students to conduct research under the supervisor of the Fellow. In the post-doctoral arrangement, partial research support will be given to selected postgraduate students (at least one Ph.D. student ($16,700), preferably a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA), and 1-2 MSc students ($10,000) to cover field research costs, research paper publication and dissemination of findings,
- Special mentor support: $3,600 to be retained by RUFORUM to support the Mentorship Programme. The cost of the mentor covers bench fees, hosting fees, and cost of the mentor visiting some of the research facilities and participating in convenings along with the Post-Doctoral Fellows.
- Nationality: African students
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Africa
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: African students (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- This call targets the former PhD beneficiary of Carnegie Cooperation of New York funded through RUFORUMfrom 2012 to 2017 who have graduated by December 2017. However, applications from candidates who have submitted their theses for external examination will also be considered.
- The applicant would need to be attached to a RUFORUM University faculty for the Post-Doctoral fellowship, where his/her main university mentor will be based. The hosting faculty should provide a support letter confirming willingness to host the Post-Doctoral fellow. The Fellow may also identify other mentors based in other institutions, such as the CGIARs, etc but need to be attached to a University.
- As part of the Fellowship, the Post-Doc Fellow will be provided with research funds that will be linked to supporting research activity of at least one PhD and one or more Masters Students who do not have research funding such as students funded under the Intra African Academic Mobility Program. The research areas could be directly linked to the field of training of the Post-Doctoral Fellow but could also cover new areas to broaden the perspective of the Fellow and promote inter-disciplinarity.
- The applicants should submit a research proposal, maximum 10 pages, 1.5 lines spacing, font 12 times new roman. The proposal should articulate the rationale for the Fellowship; provide an overview of the Post-Doctoral Fellowship Programme, the proposed research thrusts, methodology, feasible work plan and clear deliverables. Importantly, the proposal should clearly articulate how the fellow plans to integrate postgraduate students who will be part of the research team but at the same time will be required to use the opportunity to finalize their dissertations leading to the award of degrees. It should clearly also indicate how the Fellow will provide mentoring support to the research students and others and build his/her international linkages.
- A detailed motivation letter will be required from the applicant, supported by a recommendation endorsement from their institution of employment and others where they require attachment.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply:
- Open this website link: http://rims.ruforum.org/
- If you do not have an account you will be asked to register here: http://rims.ruforum.org/contacts/register/
- After registering successfully you will be taken to your dashboard. What you see on your dashboard depends on the permissions that you have been assigned by the RIMS Administrator.
- For most members of the RUFORUM network, we have captured your emails in RIMS. So the system might tell you that your account already exists. If this is the case then follow the steps related to resetting your password / forgotten your password