Deadline: 15 February 2018
Full or Associate professor in Law and Finance
Amsterdam Law School & Faculty of Economics and Business
- Publication date
- 15 December 2017
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €5,334 to €9,375 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- Closing date
- 15 February 2018
- 30 to 38 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Amsterdam Law School and the Faculty of Economics & Business of the University of Amsterdam are recruiting an established and internationally recognized scholar (at the full or associate level) with demonstrated interest in research at the interface of law and finance. The candidate should be able to interact with both legal scholars and finance scholars.
The appointee will have a joint appointment at the Amsterdam Law School and the Faculty of Economics & Business of the University of Amsterdam.
The Amsterdam Law School is with over 3700 students and 400 staff members, one of the larger law schools in the Netherlands. It is ranked 23 on the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for Law. It has a strong international profile with e.g. an interdisciplinary Bachelor program on Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics (PPLE) and LLM programs in commercial legal practice, international trade and investment law, European competition law and international and European tax law. The Law School has internationally leading research groups on European contract law, public international law, European law and governance, information Law and International and European Tax Law.
The faculty of Economics and Business organizes its education and teaching in two schools: Amsterdam Business School (ABS) and Amsterdam School of Economics (ASE). The ABS is an internationally recognized triple-crown accredited business school. It has around 3,000 students and 120 FTE academic staff. It has multiple department, covering e.g. finance, accounting, entrepreneurship and innovation, international strategy and marketing, HRM, and operations management. The Finance department at ABS is one of the top research departments in Europe. The department runs an academic seminar series with prominent speakers from top international universities. It also has a very active program of visitors and international conferences every year, thanks to strong links to the US, where many staff members have studied or taught previously, and Europe, where the Group participates in several top research networks. In teaching, it offers undergraduate and graduate courses, a MBA and the Master in International Finance.
The Amsterdam Law School and the faculty of Economics and Business collaborate in teaching and research. The Amsterdam Centre for Law and Economics (ACLE) is a world-leading centre of excellence, combining expertise from both law and economics. ACLE functions as an interdisciplinary platform and hosts a variety of activities that seek to encourage fruitful co-operation across these fields at the University of Amsterdam in interaction with international academia, fitting its overall mission. As of 1 September 2018, the two faculties have the intention to start the Master programme in Law & Finance.
The appointee will work at the intersection of law, finance and (political) economics. The position has been created to stimulate activities (research, teaching and outreach) at the interface between the law school, the business school and the school of economics. The chair will take an active role in initiating and coordinating activities in Law, Finance and Business within both faculties.
The successful candidate will have the leading role in the new Master in Law & Finance, jointly offered by the Amsterdam Law School and the Business School and teach one or more courses in this master programme.
At the Amsterdam Law School, the successful candidate will also be responsible for the Law & Business minor.
The chair holding professor has:
- a PhD and a graduate degree in one or more of the fields relevant to the position (Law, Finance, Economics, Business, or related fields);
- proven ability to engage in cutting edge research in business law and finance at the theoretical and / or empirical level;
- proven interest in interdisciplinary research;
- familiarity with modelling and empirical techniques in economics and finance, and expertise in law and legal institutions;
- strong leadership skills and willingness to further build a promising; interdisciplinary research group both from law and finance;
- capability to initiate and organise new research by identifying innovative research themes;
- documented excellence in teaching and research through publications in top international journals;
- contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships, and is part of an international network;
- experience in and commitment towards teaching;
- commitment to stimulating and supervising PhD research;
- willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational and managerial tasks.
Additional information about the vacancy may be obtained from:
- prof. Andre Nollkaemper, dean of the Amsterdam Law School
The position will be filled at the level of Associate or Full professor, depending on qualifications.
The successful chair holding professor will be offered an initial contract for 5 years; based on excellent performance, a permanent contract will be offered.
The salary is in accordance with the salary scales for professors at Dutch universities, scale H1, H2 (Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) ranging from €5,334 to €9,375 gross per month (full-time equivalent) before tax, depending on expertise and previous experience. Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday allowance and an 8,3% end-of-year allowance.
To apply, please submit the following items (preferably in one file) in Word or PDF format electronically to email@example.com attn. selection committee Law & Finance :
- a cover letter and a statement summarizing your motivation;
- a curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications;
- the names and contact details of two referees.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 15 February 2018.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity. #LI-DNP
No agencies please