The Department of Nutrition, Exercise & Sports (NEXS), University of Copenhagen, invites applications for a position as tenure-track assistant professor in the section Integrative Physiology.
The applicant must be medical doctor and will be medically responsible for and engaged in several invasive human trials in the Section. It is expected that the applicant is experienced in cardio-vascular and / or muscular physiology preferably in relation to exercise. The applicant must demonstrate a strong potential for establishing a track record in cardio-vascular physiology research related to performance and health. In addition, clinical skills related to investigation of human exercise capacity and plasticity is expected. Current research themes in the Section include ‘ageing’, ‘performance & anti-doping’ and ‘health’ and a strong interest and track-record in one or more of these areas will be considered positively.
The candidate will become a part of a highly productive Section where teaching and research are cornerstones. The successful candidate will gain access to several well-equipped human exercise physiology as well as biochemical laboratories supported by highly skilled technical staff.
The successful candidate must be able to teach human exercise physiology at undergraduate and graduate-level courses. Non-Danish speaking candidates are expected to be able to teach in Danish on an undergraduate level within 3-5 years.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within Integrative Human Exercise Physiology. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The position is open from 1 June 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 413.717 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 70.746).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is Monday 1 January 2018, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 2 May 2018.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0533