Visiting Fellows Program
Deadline: 28 March 2018
IDE Visiting Research Fellows Program: IDE Visiting Research Fellows (VRF) Program
IDE- Institute of Developing Economies has designed the Visiting Research Fellows (VRF) Program with an aim to provide visiting researchers with opportunities to exchange views, research data and other materials related to their research projects.
Nationality: open for all nationalities
IDE -JETRO is a quasi-governmental Japanese research institution that conducts studies on social, economic and political issues relevant to developing countries or regions.
The VRF Program consists of 2 major group categories:
- IDE-Supported Fellowship Program and
- Self-Supporting Fellow’s Program.
For more details, please follow the instruction listed below.
Subject Areas: Economics, law, statistics, political and social issues relevant to developing countries or regions.
Eligibility Criteria: The applicant must be:
- affiliated with a research institute, university or government in overseas
- holding a Ph.D Or
- should have an equivalent degree in a relevant research field; such as economic, social, law, statistics or political issues related to the developing economies Or
- have more than 5 years of experience in research, survey, education or development plan under the related field of economic social development
- have good command over English and/or Japanese to conduct and publish research results
- present 2 letters of reference (one of which should be written by a representative of the organization to which the applicant belongs.
Required Activities While Visiting:
Each fellow is required to do the following while visiting:
- Complete and submit research result(s), in accordance with the research plan, by the expiration date of the fellowship;
- Make presentations both on the proposed research plan and the research results to the IDE research staff members and other VRFs
- If IDE-JETRO asks then each fellow is expected to：
- Participate in IDE research activities, held regularly for discussing issues relevant to the developing world
- Participate in other IDE activities such as seminars, lectures, workshops, symposia as well as contribute to journals or other publications of the IDE-JETRO
Duration of the program:
- Self-Supporting Fellow’s Program
- IDE-JETRO accepts applications for Self-Supporting Fellows anytime during the year. However, the length should be more than 3 months up to 2 years.
- IDE-Supported Fellowship Program
- Fellowship duration is awarded for more than 3 months up to 9 months; from the middle of July 2018 to March 20, 2019.
- Furthermore it should be noted that the VRF program has to start by December 17th, 2018 at the latest.
IDE-Supported Fellowship Program: Fellows of this type are provided with:
- a round-trip air tickets
- a traveller’s insurance and
- a monthly stipend of 470,000 Japanese yen (for professor or equivalent) or 410,000 yen (for associate professor or equivalent).
Self-Supporting Fellow’s Program:
IDE-JETRO does not bear any cost for self-supporting fellows such as living expenses.
- Fellows will be requested to secure their accommodation by themselves during the stay in Japan.
- In case Fellows come to Japan accompanied by their family, IDE-JETRO will not offer financial assistance and any other support for their travel and stay in Japan.
- IDE-Supported Fellowship Program
- Fellows will not be allowed to leave Japan without permission from IDE-JETRO even for research purposes. During the period of leaving Japan, a stipend will be deducted for any reason.
- Fellows will conduct research activity under research cooperation at IDE-JETRO during the stay, therefore fellow will not be allowed to receive any subvention from other institutions while keeping with their position as the VRF.
- Any other enquiry concerning the VRF Program should be emailed to: email@example.com
The subject line should contain the heading: “Inquiry IDE VRF Program”.
The following information is only for IDE-Supported Fellowship Program.
Application Deadline: March 28th, 2018
Result Notification: End of May 2018 (Tentative)
How to apply:
The application documents should be downloaded and should be typed, and sent to the International Exchange and Training Department, IDE-JETRO by e-mail or post.
- The applicant must put “Application IDE VRF FY2018” in the subject line
International Exchange and Training Department, IDE-JETRO
3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 Japan
N.B.– All documents should be sent by courier service, the registered mail, or a similar service. The application materials will not be returned in any case.
- Application Form for IDE-Supported Fellowship Program (1 copy)
- Statement of Proposed Research (1 copy)
- 2 Letters of Reference (one of which should be written by a representative of the organization to which the applicant belongs, letters valid within 6 months)
Information for Self-Supporting Fellow’s Program
IDE accepts applications for Self-Supporting Fellows anytime and the length should be more than 3 months up to 2 years.
For detailed conditions and procedure, the applicant should contact the authorities at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Quick Overview —————|
|Level||Visiting Fellows Program|
|Subject Areas||Economics, law, statistics, political and social issues relevant to developing countries or regions|
|Fellowship Amount||Illustrated above|
|Eligibility||Open for all nationalities|
|Deadline||28th March 2018|