Deadline: 31 March 2018
Mildred Blaxter Postdoctoral fellowships are named for Prof. Mildred Blaxter, an editor of the journal Sociology of Health and Illness, in recognition of her contribution to the discipline.
The fellowship is provided to individuals who have recently completed the Doctorate in the field of the sociology of health and illness, to help them to propagate findings of their thesis through publications and presentations, and/or to develop a new programme of work related to their thesis.
Fellowship value: full salary costs; including on-costs but not estate or indirect costs; £2,500 for research and/or conference expenses.
Duration: 01 year
Location: any university in the United Kingdom that can provide appropriate support for a postdoc fellow working in the field of sociology of heath and illness.
Number of fellowships: Usually 02 fellowships are awarded each year
- Applicant must hold PhD in the field of sociology of health and illness by a UK university.
- The Doctorate must be awarded on the basis of a research thesis; those with a PhD by publication are not eligible to apply.
- The fellowship is meant to support scholars in their first postdoc post but the applicant may have up to 01 year’s active experience from the date of award of their PhD (pro rata for part-time experience) at the time of application.
- The research proposal must be in the field of the sociology of health and illness.
- The application must be supported by the HOD that can provide an appropriate research environment for a postdoc fellow working in the field of the sociology of health and illness, and by a guide who is able to provide appropriate support and encouragement for the fellow.
- The applicant must not have made a previous application for this fellowship.
- The fellowship awards will not be restricted to UK or EU citizens. The fellowship need not be held in the university which awarded the PhD.
- The application must outline the proposed work
- Applicant must arrange the names of two external referees.
- Applicant must indicate if applying for other postdoctoral fellowships
- Download the application form and send the completed form electronically to FSHIadmin@googlemail.com and send one signed hard copy to:
Professor Joan Busfield
Treasurer, Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness
Department of Sociology
University of Essex
|Organization||Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness|
|Subject areas||Sociology, Social Sciences|
|Fellowship amount||Full salary costs with other allowances|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||31 March 2018|