Deadline: 31 March 2018
Institute for Agri-Food Research and Innovation (IAFRI) at Newcastle University invites applications for 6 PhD Studentships. The projects are funded by IAFRI (A joint venture between Fera Science Ltd and Newcastle University).
- 100% tuition fees at UK/EU rate plus an annual stipend of £14,553
- non-EU international students will be required to make up the difference between the UK/EU fees and international fees
Start date: September 2018
Duration: 3 years
Research areas (10 projects):
- Environmental fate of molluscicides – challenging the current risk assessment approach
- Packaging with nanomaterials from agri-food by-products for shelf life extension of food and feed
- Developing DNA-metabarcoding technologies for the nationwide surveillance of pest and beneficial insects
- Modular, cell-free synthetic gene networks to enable rapid deployment of infield diagnostics for plant health monitoring
- Druggability assessment of juvenile hormone receptor PAS-B domain for development of next generation insecticides
- Development of a detection system for bioinoculants based on “in situ” metatranscriptomics
- Exploring receptor divergence between honey bees and mites to target future treatments
- Smart Labels for Intelligent Packaging
- Characterisation and Performance Of Insect Chitin And Chitosan
- Diatom Recording Using Metabarcoding (DRUM)
Location: Newcastle University or Fera Science Ltd in York
- Applicant must have, or expect to achieve, a first-class or upper-second-class honours degree in a relevant subject or international equivalent.
- The studentships are available to UK/EU and International candidates.
- If English is not your first language, you must have IELTS 6.5 with at least 5.5 in each component.
How to apply:
- Apply online (programme code 8010F) and include the following information:
- Covering letter (letter must state the title of the project (eg Project 10 – Diatom Recording Using Metabarcoding (DRUM)) , quote reference code nes003 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project)
- Degree transcripts and certificates
- Copy of English language qualifications
- The covering letter and CV must also be sent to Mr Steven Hall (e-mail to email@example.com)
Note: it is recommended that students apply for a maximum of TWO projects.
|Subject areas||Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics|
|Fellowship amount||Fully funded for UK/EU students and partially funded for International students|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||31 March 2018|