Study in:ICGEB Member States.
Deadline: 30 April 2018
The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) is delighted to offer ICGEB CRP Grants for applicants from the ICGEB Member States. These grants fund young researchers with an outstanding track record, who have spent a minimum of 2 years abroad and who have returned to an ICGEB Member State to establish an independent laboratory.
Funding opportunities are made available through the Collaborative Research Programme (CRP) – ICGEB Research Grants, which is a dedicated source of funding aimed at financing projects addressing original scientific problems of particular relevance for the host country and of regional interest.
ICGEB offers postgraduate studies with the aim of obtaining the “Doctor Philosophiae” (PhD) degree in the life sciences.
The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology provides a scientific and educational environment of the highest standard and conducts innovative research in life sciences for the benefit of developing countries.
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
- Course Level: Grants are available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: Support is provided for research projects in basic sciences, human healthcare, industrial and agricultural biotechnology and bioenergy.
- Scholarship Award: Grants are awarded to contribute to the implementation of outstanding scientific research projects. An important element of successful applications is the feasibility of the proposed project within the designated time-frame (maximum 36 months). The maximum annual contribution from ICGEB is Euro 25,000.
- Funds can only be used to cover expenditures that are directly relevant to the project. This may include purchasing consumable items, scientific literature and basic standard laboratory equipment. Travel and training costs can also be covered.
- Salaries of the Principal Investigators and infrastructural support (e.g., normal administrative and overhead expenses of the Institution, maintenance and rental of capital equipment, building, etc.) are not admissible and cannot be funded.
- Nationality: Applicants from ICGEB Member States
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Applicants should hold positions at Universities or Research Institutes in ICGEB Member States.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Applicants from ICGEB Member States are eligible to apply.
Applicants of an ICGEB Member State (Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Cuba, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, FYR Macedonia, Hungary, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Venezuela and Vietnam) are eligible to apply for the fellowships.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Applicants for research grant proposals (identified as “CRPs”) should hold positions at Universities or Research Institutes in any of the ICGEB Member States.
Active collaboration with ICGEB Research Groups is welcome but is not mandatory. Particular attention will be given to projects addressing issues of interest for specific geographic regions and presented by groups collaborating across more than one country.
Investigating groups do not qualify for submission of applications:
– if previously awarded projects have not been evaluated and satisfactorily concluded;
– if the University or Research Institute of the Principal Investigator is based in Italy.
A special category of CRP-ICGEB Early Career Return Grants is intended to fund young researchers with an outstanding track record, who have spent a minimum of 2 years abroad and have recently returned to an ICGEB Member State to establish their own independent laboratories.
Applicants for Early Career Return Grants should be no more than 40 years of age at the time of application.
Applicants should have returned to an ICGEB Member State (except Italy) no more than 2 years prior to submitting the application.
English Language Requirements: Candidates must have a good working knowledge of the English language, supported by a proficiency certificate (TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate, or equivalent). Not required when scholastic education has been undertaken in English.
How to Apply: In adherence with the ICGEB mandate to equally support its Member States, each ICGEB Member State can endorse up to 3 standard Research Grant applications, plus up to 2 Early Career Return Grants for each call. Therefore, PIs should submit their complete applications in electronic format (pdf) to his/her Country representative (Liaison Officer – see form A), who is in charge of endorsing the application at the national level. A copy of the application should also be sent directly to the ICGEB (crp-at-icgeb.org).