The Chely Wright LIKE ME Scholarship provides financial support for students pursuing a college degree who actively advocate for LGBT youth and/or to students who are severely affected by teen bullying or suicide of an LGBT youth. Through this scholarship, LGBT affected youth can apply for funding to pay for educational expenses to pursue a degree from an accredited college, university, or technical/vocational program. Graduating high school seniors who can show that they have actively advocated for LGBT issues, such as respect and inclusion for LGBT youth, community service at an LGBT resource, involvement and/or attendance of LGBT events, working against teen bullying or teen suicide, and any other activities that improve the condition of the LGBT community and/or improve cultural conditions for LGBT youth are eligible to apply. For more information or to apply, please visit the scholarship provider’s website.
P.O. Box 1605
Belton, MO 64012
See if you qualify for this award
Learn more about this scholarship and many more.
Find Scholarships Instantly!
Scholarship Announcements – 2016:
LIKEME® Scholarship program is proud to announce that it has awarded thirteen scholarships to deserving high school seniors who are going to colleges across the country in Fall, 2016. These top 13 students showed excellence in LGBT advocacy, leadership, grades, success, and financial need. It is the Scholarship’s hope that these students will use their LGBT advocacy at their new colleges to start groups and events that raise awareness of LGBT needs.
The schools represented are:
Louisiana State University Louisiana
Missouri State University Missouri
West Virginia University West Virginia
Florida International University Florida
Middlesex Community College Massachusetts
University of Chicago Illinois
Murray State College Oklahoma
Santa Clara University California
Rowan College of Burlington County New Jersey
Maryland Institute of Art Maryland
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
Kennesaw State University Georgia
Brown University Rhode Island
LIKEME® Scholarship program increased its award budget to $6,500 in 2016. With 13 recipients this year, the scholarship program will reach a larger numbers of students. Please consider donating to our scholarship fund so we can grow out budget again next year.
Simply click “Donate” on this website; or to contact our Treasurer, Charlene Daniels, directly, email Char@likeme.org, or call (816) 974-2907 to arrange scholarship donations. Thank you in advance for your donations to this worthy program.
The Chely Wright LIKEME® Scholarship provides financial support for students pursuing a college degree who actively advocate for LGBT youth and/or to students who are severely affected by teen bullying or suicide of an LGBT youth. Through this scholarship, LGBT affected youth can apply for funding to pay for educational expenses to pursue a degree from an accredited college, university, or technical/vocational program.
Scholarship Application [DOC – 69KB] – Click here To Download
Scholarship Application [PDF – 125KB] – Click here To Download
Guidelines & Criteria
1. Award is open to Graduating High School Seniors who can show that they have actively advocated for LGBT issues, such as…. respect and inclusion for LGBT youth, community service at an LGBT resource, involvement and/or attendance of LGBT events, working against teen bullying or teen suicide, and any other activities that improve the condition of the LGBT community and/or improve cultural conditions for LGBT youth. This list serves as examples only, and each student’s personal, individual advocacy will be different.
Please use your personal activities and advocacy to demonstrate your commitment to the future of the LGBT community. The Selection Board will review your advocacy to measure its improvement for LGBT youth and/or the future of the LGBT community.
2. Award criteria are based on demonstration of past leadership, LGBT community service involvement, financial need, academic credentials, personal essay, future goals, and possibly an individual interview.
3. Applicants must send the completed written application form to LIKEME®, P. O. Box 1605, Belton, MO 64012. Application must be received by May 31st to be eligible for Fall semester. Additional written materials such as recommendation letters, an essay, magazine or newspaper articles, and/or examples of prior demonstrated success in advocating for LGBT youth will facilitate our selection process. Links to websites will not be reviewed. Printed copies of web pages will be accepted. Please help us by providing any materials that you think will support your experiences.
4. LIKEME® must receive all applications no later than May 31st to be considered for the Fall admissions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
5. Students will be required to maintain a B- average (GPA) to be considered for selection. Rare exceptions may be considered with explanation of extenuating circumstances.
6. LIKEME® is not required to award all allotted scholarships annually. Awards are given only to applicants approved by the Scholarship Committee based on the criteria above.
7. We will not have restrictions on residency of applicants, nor age requirements.
Scholarship awards will not be distributed until LIKEME® receives all required documentation, including copy of acceptance letter from the institution the student will be attending, and verification of attendance by the relevant admissions office. LIKEME® will distribute awards directly to the educational institution only, and only upon verification of attendance.
Completed applications should be submitted to LIKEME® for review and consideration. Send your application with additional written materials of your choice to:
P. O. Box 1605
Belton, MO 64012-1605
You will receive a letter or email informing you of your consideration or rejection in the selection process.