Deadline: 1 April 2019
You will gain hands-on experience with the latest technologies in, for example, laser cooling to study Bose-Einstein condensation, novel techniques used to study complex materials down to the (sub)atomic level, and microscopy techniques that allow you to follow biological processes on a nm scale. Hand in hand with these experimental methods, you will also learn to apply advanced data analysis techniques and computer modelling.The Master’s degree program in Experimental Physics delivered by Utrecht Universitye offers courses with a strong link to research carried out by experimental research groups in the Department of Physics at Utrecht University. You will have the opportunity to work in close cooperation with groups specialising in the strong nuclear forces, ultra-cold quantum matter, and ultra-fast light-matter interaction.
The MSc in Experimental Physics is a research Master’s, and many graduates continue in research inside or outside of academia. However, a Master’s degree in Experimental Physics opens up many possibilities in industry, finance, and consultancy, depending on your particular talents and preferences. A few examples of jobs held by recent graduates from Experimental Physics include:
- PhD candidate
- Research & development in high-tech industry
- Research-oriented positions in industry
- Particle Physics
- Photon Physics
- Experimental Quantum Physics
- Soft Condensed Matter Theory
- Computational Quantum Mechanics
- Physics of Light & Electron Microscopy
- Application of Light & Electron Microscopy
- Modelling and Simulation
- Quantum Field Theory
Additionally we consider:
- Motivation and talent (also on the basis of average grade and past studies progress).
- General high level of professional and intellectual ability.
- Command of the English language.
You should possess skills and knowledge in Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Physics at an advanced bachelor level and have general knowledge in Subatomic Physics, in Solid State Physics/Condensed Matter Physics and in Soft Condensed Matter Physics.
Scholarships, fellowships, and grants offered by Utrecht University, the Dutch government, and other organisations can help fund your studies at the university. You can begin your search for funding by reviewing the list below, which contains some of the scholarships and loans available to international students:
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
- Holland Scholarships
- Orange Tulip Scholarships
- Canadian student loans
- Fulbright / NAF
- US Federal Loans
- Erasmus+ Master loans
Detailed Program Facts
Starting in September 2019
You can apply until: 1 April 2019
- For more details please visit program website.