Deadline: 11 Jan 2020
Upon completing the Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology program taught at University of Helsinki, you will:
- Understand the global significance of microbes as remodelers and processors of life and the environment
- Understand the potential for the use of microbes in the development of new applications, such as foodstuffs, drugs, and industrial processes
- Understand the molecular mechanisms that underpin microbial function
- Be able to evaluate the effects of changes in the environment on microbial communities and thus on the function of the biosphere
- Be able to estimate the risks of microbes, and assess the use of microbes in a variety of environments and situations
- Be able to evaluate ethical questions and the prerequisites of commercialisation related to the use of microbes and biotechnology
- You will understand the most important functional mechanisms of the major groups of microbes
- Be aware of the most important pathogens and virulence mechanisms
- Have mastered the most important microbiological and biotechnological research methods, and become proficient in the interpretation and evaluation of research results
- Be able to develop and evaluate new microbiological and biotechnological applications
- Have the capability to plan and lead activities that involve microbiology and biotechnology, and will be able to propose appropriate actions in various situations
- Know how to search for, produce and critically evaluate scientifically relevant information
- Have developed the capacity for disseminating relevant information about your topic to various target groups in an appropriate manner within an international environment
- Laboratory work, seminars, lectures
- Oral presentations
- Written reports (individual, paired, group)
- Independent reading
- Work practice, instruction in research groups, project courses
- Oral group exams, written exams, home essays
- You have completed by 31 July a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete studies required for the master’s program by 11 January. Below are more details concerning applicable studies.
- You are able to demonstrate your proficiency in English. For further instructions on demonstrating your proficiency in English, see the section “Required enclosures”.
- Fully Funded Grant (Tuition fee + 10 000 EUR)
- Full Tuition fee Grant
- Study Grant (10 000 EUR)
Detailed Program Facts
Starting in August 2020
You can apply until: 11 Jan 2020
- For more details please visit program website.